Since January 1, 2019, a LUCID number is one of the three requirements according to the German Packaging Act (VerpackG). LUCID, administered by the Central Organization of the Packaging Registry, monitors compliance with the VerpackG regulations. It is often found that companies covered by this law have not registered fully or incorrectly. How do you ensure proper registration? What do you need to know? Here you will find a clear overview of your obligations.
How do you register a LUCID number?
To comply with the Packaging Act, your registration for a LUCID number must be completely complete. Improper registration can lead to warnings from authorities, fines, a sales ban or even legal sanctions. So call in an expert when in doubt!
You can follow these steps to register:
- Visit LUCID’s registration page for producers;
- Create an account (follow steps 1 to 4 on the page);
- Confirm your details within 24 hours using the verification link in your email;
- Enter the main details in your LUCID account;
- Get your packaging licensed through a dual system such as Interseroh+ through Lizenzero (if not already done);
- Provide your registration number to your dual system;
- List the name of the dual system in the main LUCID data;
- Enter your licensed packaging volumes for the current year under the “Data Reporting” tab.
For whom is registration in the LUCID register mandatory?
All manufacturers and dealers who put sales packaging into circulation that eventually reaches private final consumers as waste must comply with the obligations of the VerpackG and thus register with LUCID.
Note: The change in the VerpackG, effective July 3, 2021, requires more extensive registration requirements. From July 1, 2022, all packaging distributors must register with LUCID.
What should you pay attention to when registering?
The LUCID packaging registry was created to allow companies that put packaging into circulation to contribute to the cost of recycling packaging waste. Companies must register themselves; but if you need help with it, please contact us. If so, we can arrange the LUCID number for you.
Data required for registration:
- Responsible person of the company
- Editor’s contact information
- Email address & self-selected password for login
- Company address
- VAT number
- National identification number (e.g., trade register number)
- List of all brand names
The reported quantities in the LUCID and in the dual system should always match.
The Importance of the LUCID Registry for the EPR Scheme.
The LUCID registry plays a crucial role in the implementation of the Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) scheme in Germany. This regulation, which holds producers responsible for the entire life cycle of their products, including waste disposal and recycling, is an essential part of today’s sustainability efforts.
Centralization and transparency
LUCID serves as a central coordination point for companies under the EPR scheme. Through mandatory registration in this registry, a higher degree of transparency and accountability is achieved. Companies must provide detailed information about their packaging and its recycling, which helps to better understand the packaging waste stream.
Compliance and enforcement
Registering a LUCID number is not just an administrative act; it is a legal requirement. This ensures that companies cannot ignore their obligations under the EPR scheme. The Central Organization Packaging Registry, which manages the LUCID registry, monitors compliance and can take action against companies that fail to meet their responsibilities.
Incentive for sustainability
Registration on the LUCID registry encourages companies to develop more sustainable packaging solutions. This is because the information they provide is public and can be used to assess their environmental impact. This increases pressure to design and use more sustainable packaging, leading to a reduction in environmental impact.
Benefits for consumers and the environment
The LUCID registry contributes to making producers more responsible for their packaging. This means an increased focus on the design of recyclable and environmentally friendly packaging. Consumers benefit by getting products that are less harmful to the environment.
So, what are your obligations?
There are three obligations for those who act as primary distributors of sales packaging:
- Registration requirement: arrange complete and complete registration of your LUCID number in the packaging register.
- System participation requirement: participate in professional packaging recycling through a license fee.
- Data reporting requirement: report licensed packaging volumes and dual system name in the LUCID account.
Need help with your LUCID number registration?
We fully understand that it can be quite time consuming to figure out everything surrounding EPR and LUCID. That’s why we are happy to help! In a demo, you can put all your questions about EPR, WEEE, ElektroG and even European VAT. Then you’ll also get free advice, tailored entirely to your organization.