Applying for an Italian VAT Number
When do you need an Italian VAT number?
You need an Italian VAT number if:
- You purchase goods in Italy, pay Italian VAT, and then sell these goods (1) within Italy and other EU countries or (2) export these goods outside the EU.
- You import goods into Italy from outside the EU and then sell these goods in Italy and other EU countries.
- You sell goods online to private individuals in Italy and reach the distance selling threshold of €35,000.
- You transfer your own goods to Italy, which constitutes a fictitious intra-community delivery.
- You sell goods online via Amazon. If you sell goods in other EU countries through the Pan-European FBA program, you must register for VAT directly in those EU countries.
*Amazon.it requires a VAT registration number. When selling products online via the Pan-European FBA program, you must register for VAT directly in various EU countries.
One Stop Shop VAT Application in Italy
Since July 1, 2021, the threshold amounts for intra-EU distance sales per EU country have been abolished. In its place, a single threshold of €10,000,- has been established (applicable to all intra-EU distance sales of goods, along with the sale of digital services to consumers in the EU).
As soon as you exceed the threshold of €10,000, you charge the VAT rate of the EU country where your customer is located. Then you qualify for the One Stop Shop. You then make a VAT declaration to the Tax Authorities once a quarter. They then ensure that all VAT is distributed over the correct countries.
You can arrange your foreign VAT declaration in 2 ways:
- You make a local VAT declaration per EU country in which you have sold.
- You submit a One Stop Shop declaration to the Tax Authorities once a quarter. To do this, register your business for the ‘Union scheme‘ within the new system.
Amazon FBA: Applying for an Italian VAT Number
To use Fulfilment by Amazon (FBA), you will need an Italian VAT number. If you don’t do this, your Amazon account will be immediately blocked. Amazon.it requires an Italian VAT number for sales through Amazon FBA from the German distribution center.
Once you have that, you can register for Amazon FBA, and the products often reach the customer the very next day.
What do I receive when I apply for an Italian VAT number?
When applying for an Italian VAT number, you will receive the following documentation from us:
- Il numero di registrazione IVA (P.IVA): The Italian VAT number. For example: IT12345678901 (IT + 11 characters).
How can you apply for an Italian VAT number?
Would you like us to apply for an Italian VAT number on your behalf? You can submit a request directly through this button. If you want more information or have questions, you can also schedule an appointment for a no-obligation personal consultation.Apply for an Italian VAT number